UPDATE – PLANET X2 IS FINISHED!
A year in the making, Planet X2 is now finished and ready for sale. For those unfamiliar, it is a real-time strategy game developed for the Commodore 64. It may very well be the only such game in existence on the platform. It runs on any stock C64 and any compatible floppy drive. It can be purchased here: The 8-Bit Guy Store
- Control up to 10 units
- Build up to 52 buildings
- Multi-tasking system handles up to 128 total units (player + enemy) simultaneously
- Similar onscreen appearance to old-style turn-based strategy games such as Ultima
- Similar gameplay concepts, which should be familiar to players of StarCraft, Warcraft, or Dune II.
- Original soundtrack for the SID chip, as well as an included cassette with Roland MT-32 and Adlib versions.
- Can I play it in an emulator? – Yes, you can! A digital copy will be emailed to you as soon as you purchase, which should run in VICE or most any other emulator.
- Will you provide a digital-only version for less money? – Yes, it is now available in the web store.
- Will you should to my country? – For the most part, yes. I cannot ship to China or Hong Kong. Everywhere else should be fine.
- Will it work on SD-2-IEC? – Yes. There is no copy protection in the game (rather pointless these days) so it will load from anything, even drives like the 1581 or other non-1541 compatible drives.
- Why didn’t you support the REU, Super CPU, dual SIDs, etc? – The answer is simple. The market is limited as it is do a niche of Commodore users. If I’m lucky I will sell 400 copies. If the game required one of those extra features, it would narrow the market to selling maybe 25 copies. There simply isn’t enough demand to make it worth while.
I recommend watching this review for detail on the gameplay: