Visiting The 8-Bit Guy in Kennedale, TX
COVID-19 UPDATE: I’ve been fully vaccinated since April 2021, so I’m good with visitors again.
Travelling to the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Live in the area already? Well, you’re welcome to come by and visit. I receive visitors on average about once per week. They come from all over the world. It seems “The 8-Bit Guy” has become a tourist attraction for Dallas/Fort Worth. So, what can I tell you that might make things go more smoothly? Well, here are a few tips:
- Advanced Notice – Most people give me advanced notice when they are planning to come. Contact me at my regular email email@example.com and I will check my calendar and make sure I am available that day. If I am, then I’ll write in your name for that day. If not, I’ll let you know, so maybe you can pick another day?
- Send me a reminder – the night before or that morning, because sometimes I am so busy I forget to look at the calendar. There have been a few embarrassing occasions when somebody arrived at my place and I was out grocery shopping or something.
- There is no set amount of time – Unless I tell you otherwise due to other appointments I have, generally I have no expectation for how long people will stay. On average, most people stay around an hour. But I’ve had people stay as long as 4 hours.
- I’m going to want a picture – One of my rituals is to take a photo of my guests. I keep these on my server and sometimes I show them in my videos.
- My house isn’t always clean – We’re a normal family. So, I can’t make a special effort to clean up. Often the house is less than presentable. You may be seeing it on its best day or its worst day in that regard. Sometimes I’m in the middle of making a video so my studio room is a huge mess. Other times, it may be immaculately clean. Just luck of the draw. Nobody has ever complained, but I just thought I’d mention it.
- You are free to touch things – Some people constantly ask if it is okay to touch this or that. Generally speaking, you’re welcome to pick up any of my vintage computer stuff. That’s why I have it out on display. Just be careful with it.
- My pets – My little dog will probably try to lick you and generally annoy the crap out of you until you pet him. Sorry about that. If it is a problem let me know ahead of time and I’ll put him away. My cat Starlight will run and hide when you arrive. You’ll probably never see her. My other cat, PigBunny, will stare at you and dare you to pet her. If you do pet her, there’s a 50/50 chance she will purr or hiss at you. She’s even been known to do both at the same time. She’s weird.
- Patreon – I often ask if people if they support me on Patreon. Just so we’re clear, this has nothing to do with wanting money from you. However, there are a lot of things I show or talk about in Patreon-only videos and so in the course of conversation it is helpful to know what you have or have not seen so that I don’t repeat things you’ve already heard me say recently, and/or I know what may be of interest to you.
- Merchandise – I never try to push merchandise on people, but you will likely see a lot of the stuff I sell as you are there, and you are welcome to buy things. I usually sell things at or around cost to my visitors so you’ll get things cheaper, plus there’s no shipping charges. I will also give you a free complimentary soundtrack CD if you want it.
- Lunch – If you are planning to come by around lunch time, check with me that morning if you want to eat lunch with me. There are many nearby restaurants. Otherwise, I’ll usually have eaten before you arrive.
- Cars – If you are interested in electric vehicles, let me know. I’ll be happy to show you mine or even let you take it for a spin. I rent my cars out on Turo regularly so you’re also welcome to rent one of them. Go here for more info: https://turo.com/drivers/2577895
Other than that, there’s not much to tell you. I usually just chat with people about whatever is interesting at the time. Hopefully this will answer a lot of your questions. Sometimes people don’t say much when they come over. So I just start talking about the things most people ask about. But, feel free to interrupt me and ask me whatever is on your mind.