A year in the making, Planet X2 is now finished and ready for sale. For those unfamiliar, it is a real-time strategy game developed for the Commodore 64. It may very well be the only such game in existence on the platform. It runs on any stock C64 and any compatible floppy drive. It can be purchased here: The 8-Bit Guy Store
- Control up to 10 units
- Build up to 52 buildings
- Multi-tasking system handles up to 128 total units (player + enemy) simultaneously
- Similar onscreen appearance to old-style turn-based strategy games such as Ultima
- Similar gameplay concepts, which should be familiar to players of StarCraft, Warcraft, or Dune II.
- Original soundtrack for the SID chip, as well as an included cassette with Roland MT-32 and Adlib versions.
- Can I play it in an emulator? – Yes, you can! A digital copy will be emailed to you as soon as you purchase, which should run in VICE or most any other emulator.
- Will you provide a digital-only version for less money? – Not at this point. I invested a lot of money up front on the boxes, tapes, disks, labels, and manuals. I need to sell most of those first. After that, perhaps I will offer a cheaper digital option.
- Will you ship to my country? – For the most part, yes. European customers should buy from EOX Studio’s. Otherwise, I will ship to most other countries.
- Will it work on SD-2-IEC? – Yes. There is no copy protection in the game (rather pointless these days) so it will load from anything, even drives like the 1581 or other non-1541 compatible drives.
I recommend watching this review for detail on the gameplay: